American Chop Suey Easy Recipe 2021
American chop suey is an American pasta casserole made with ground beef, macaroni, and a seasoned tomato sauce, found in the cuisine of New England and other regions of the United States.
Outside New England, it is sometimes called American goulash or Johnny Marzetti, among other names. Despite its name, it has only a very distant relation to the chop suey of Chinese and American Chinese cuisine.
Though this comfort food is influenced by Italian-American cuisines as well as older New England quick and practical meals like the potato bargain and necessity mess.
It is known as “American chop suey” both because it is a sometimes-haphazard hodgepodge of meat, vegetables, and Italian seasonings, and because it once used rice, a base ingredient in Chinese cuisine, instead of pasta.
Standard American chop suey consists of elbow macaroni and bits of cooked ground beef with sautéed onions in a thick tomato-based sauce.
The dish can be served on a plate or in a bowl, usually accompanied by bread and often Worcestershire sauce.
Must Read: Egg Foo Young Easy Recipe
Sometimes grated Parmesan cheese is added after cooking, but historically the dish was seasoned only with salt and pepper, and no cheese was added.
To make it at home, you need first cook the noodles in water; then deep fry them to them crispy. Quickly stir fry the vegetable of your choice and mix them with the noodles.
If you want put a sunny side egg on the top and there you go, the recipe is ready to get served with its sizzling aroma and sauces!
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- You can make the crispy noodles in advance and store them in an air-tight container.
- Using the fried noodles, you can make another popular Indo-Chinese roadside recipe Chinese bhel.
- You can add an assortment of exotic vegetables like broccoli, pakchoi, baby corn, red cabbage to make this more colorful and flavorful.
- Also, you can make use of favorite sauces like sriracha, soy sauce, schezuan sauce to make this dish tastier.
Must Read: Best Corn Pudding Easy Recipe
BEST AMERICAN CHOP SUEY EASY RECIPE:
|SERVINGS:||PREP TIME:||TOTAL TIME:|
|4 Servings||0 Hours 15 Mins||0 Hours 40 Mins|
1 pack (150 gm pack) Plain Hakka Noodles
1/2 cup French Beans, finely chopped
1/2 cup Carrot, cut into thin strips
2 teaspoons finely chopped Ginger
5-6 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
1-2 Green Chillies, slit vertically
2 medium Onions, finely sliced
1 medium Capsicum, sliced
1/2 cup Cabbage, sliced
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Chilli Sauce (Red or Green)
2 teaspoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Vinegar
3 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper Powder
3 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons Cornflour (corn starch)
1/2 cup + 1 cup Water
Salt to taste
- Prepare boiled noodles: Do not boil noodles for more than 3-minutes to prevent them from turning soggy.
- Prepare Crispy Noodles
- Dissolve 3 tablespoons cornflour in 1/2 cup water and keep aside.
- Boil carrot and French beans with a pinch of salt in water over medium flame for 3 minutes. Drain water and transfer it to a plate. Keep them aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in another pan over a high flame. Add chopped ginger and chopped garlic and sauté for 20 seconds. Add onion and capsicum, sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add boiled vegetables, cabbage and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add soy sauce, chili sauce, sugar, vinegar, tomato ketchup, black pepper powder, and salt.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add 2-cups of water and bring it to boil. When it starts to boil, reduce the flame to low, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add dissolved cornflour and mix well.
- Stir and cook over medium flame until the sauce turns thick, darker in color and coats the vegetables for approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame. Place crispy fried noodles on a serving plate and pour prepared vegetable sauce mixture over it. Veg American Chopsuey is ready to serve.
What is a chop suey?
Chop suey is a dish in American Chinese cuisine and other forms of overseas Chinese cuisine, consisting of meat (often chicken, fish, beef, shrimp, or pork) and eggs, cooked quickly with vegetables such as bean sprouts, cabbage, and celery and bound in a starch-thickened sauce.
Must Read: Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Easy Recipe
Is Chinese chop suey sweet?
One, in particular, is called American chop suey. I’ve never had the American version of American chop suey, but it’s apparently made with macaroni and beef, in a tomato sauce. The one I know is something totally different. It contains crispy noodles, vegetables and sweet and sour sauce.
Can You Freeze This American Chop Suey?
Like most chilis and meat sauces, this dinner freezes beautifully. Cook it according to the recipe instructions, allow it to cool to room temperature, and then store it in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. It also keeps in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Which is better chop suey or chow mein?
Compared to Chop Suey, Chow Mein is low in fat and calories, especially if you opt for steamed Chow Mein. In Chow Mein, the noodles are mixed up with the remaining ingredients, while in Chop Suey, the mixture of sauce, meat, and veggies is served over noodles or rice. There is no option of preparing steamed Chop Suey.
PEOPLE ALSO ASK FOR:
- American Chop Suey Recipe
- Chicken American Chop Suey
- Vegetarian American Chop Suey
- American Chop Suey vs Chinese Chop Suey
- American Chop Suey Pronunciation
Must Read: Best Jalapeno Poppers Easy Recipe