Best Banana Milkshake Recipe
This Banana Milkshake recipe makes a thick and creamy shake with the perfect ratio of fruit to ice cream to milk. It’s packed full of banana flavor and is pretty much irresistible.
A banana milkshake is the ideal way to use up an aging banana over the summer. It’s frosty, refreshing, and since you’re using up a banana that was probably destined for the trash, it’s almost like you’re doing a good deed.
This recipe makes a thick and creamy shake with the perfect ratio of fruit to ice cream to milk. It’s packed full of banana flavor and is pretty much irresistible.
FRESH OR FROZEN BANANAS FOR MILKSHAKES?
You can use either fresh or frozen fruit for your shake.
Frozen fruit will yield a thicker, creamier shake, but can make your shake difficult to blend, especially if you are using an older or underpowered blender. To combat this, be sure to allow your ice cream time to soften before blending.
To soften your ice cream, scoop it into your blender and leave it at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before you add the rest of the ingredients and blend. If your blender is still really struggling, you can use just a bit more milk until it’s able to blend well.
BANANA MILKSHAKE INGREDIENTS
For this milkshake recipe, you need the following ingredients:
Vanilla ice cream: My favorite is vanilla bean ice cream. It goes perfectly with the bananas.
Ripe bananas: You’ll want bananas that are ripe but not brown. Read more about bananas and how to keep them on The Kitchn.
Dash of cinnamon: Banana and cinnamon are a great flavor combination.
Whole milk: Whole milk makes the milkshake very creamy. You can use 2% but I don’t recommend 1% or skim milk.
Banana Milkshake ingredients are bananas ice cream and milk
HOW TO MAKE BANANA MILKSHAKE?
There is a small extra step to make this milkshake and that is to cut up the bananas and freeze them.
This would make the milkshake extra creamy. Once the bananas are frozen for about 20 minutes, simply place all the ingredients in a blender and blend for some seconds until fully incorporated. Serve in cold glasses with some whipped cream and enjoy.
NOTES AND TIPS TO MAKE A GOOD MILKSHAKE
- Freezing fruits like a banana before making the milkshake will result in a creamier milkshake. This step is totally optional but it helps with the consistency.
- If you would like to make a healthy banana milkshake, substitute vanilla ice cream with vanilla frozen yogurt or simply leave it out and use frozen bananas.
- As mentioned in our vanilla milkshake recipe, put the glasses in the freezer for a few minutes, and then divide the milkshake between them. Super cold glasses keep the milkshake creamy for longer.
- Serve this creamy milkshake immediately as it will lose it’s texture if it sits for long.
- Try to use ripe bananas that haven’t changed color yet.
BANANA MILKSHAKE WITH DIFFERENT FLAVORS
Once you have a good milkshake recipe, you can have different milkshake flavors. You can take this milkshake recipe with ice cream and turn it up a notch by adding a few ingredients such as:
- Strawberries for a delicious and fresh strawberry banana milkshake.
- All Spice for a tasty flavor addition.
- Peanut butter because who can ever say no to a creamy peanut butter banana milkshake?
- Cocoa powder because chocolate banana milkshake is always a favorite.
This particular milkshake flavor is one of our favorites and it’s probably the most common milkshake flavor on the other side of the world. I remember there was this shop in Tehran that had these super creamy milkshakes with bananas and lots of ice cream.
The milkshakes were so thick that when he made them, he would lift the jar so high and pour the milkshake into glasses without a drop out of the glass because they were exceptionally consistent and smooth!
IS A BANANA MILKSHAKE HEALTHY?
For those trying to lose weight, banana shakes can still be enjoyed as long as you limit the content of high calorie, high fat ingredients and make sure to enjoy them as part of an overall healthy diet. The only ones who should truly avoid banana shakes are those with a banana allergy.
ALSO TRY THESE RECIPES:
- Best Broiled Pork Chops Recipe
- Blackened Chicken Easy Recipe
- Best Strawberry Vinaigrette Recipe
- English Muffin Pizza Easy Recipe
- Best Peanut Brittle Recipe
HOW DO YOU MAKE A BANANA MILKSHAKE WITHOUT ICE CREAM?
Yes, you can technically combine milk, sugar, and ice instead of ice cream, but the consistency will be different.
And if you are really concerned about your ingredients, choose Breyer’s vanilla ice cream because that is made primarily of cream and sugar without added corn syrup and mystery ingredients.
So you will basically get the same end ingredients, but a better taste and consistency.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A SIMPLE BANANA MILKSHAKE?
It’s easy! You will simply combine bananas, vanilla ice cream, milk, and vanilla extract in a blender and blend until smooth! Yes, it really is THAT easy!
Best Banana Milkshake
- 2 Bananas peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 Cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Place the bananas on a plate and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Place the bananas in the blender.
- Add in ice cream and whole milk. Sprinkle the ground cinnamon.
- Blend for 12 to 18 seconds until all is mixed.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream and cinnamon.
- Freezing the bananas beforehand would make this milkshake creamier.
- You can make this recipe with chocolate ice cream or add cocoa powder for chocolate banana milkshake.
- Add some strawberries for strawberry banana milkshake.
PEOPLE ALSO ASK FOR:
Healthy Banana Milkshake Recipe
Banana Smoothie Recipe
Old Fashioned Banana Milkshake
Banana Milkshake with or Without Ice Cream Recipe
McDonald’s Banana Milkshake Recipe