Easy Shrimp Salad Recipe 2021
As warmer weather approaches, Shrimp Salad will be a fabulous light entrée to add to your go-to recipe collection.
There’s nothing quite so refreshing and tasty than a luncheon of shrimp salad mounded on a bed of crisp lettuce. Serve it with saltine crackers and an ice cold glass of white wine (or sangria), like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
Shrimp salad is perfectly classic, but some might (wrongly) think it’s old school. Ours is far from the gloppy mayo-laden dish from the 80s. We brightened it with red onion, celery, fresh dill and a light mayo dressing with Dijon and lemon zest for zing.
You can serve it as a salad over some romaine or butter lettuce or in lettuce wraps for lunch or even on toast for dinner. However you do, it’ll be one of your favorite shrimp recipes.
Must Read: Best Waldorf Salad Recipe 2021
How to Cook Shrimp for Salad
My favorite shortcut for this recipe is to buy a shrimp ring when they’re on sale and when guests show up, I simply chop up the shrimp!
If you need to cook the shrimp, it takes almost no time at all. You can tell when each shrimp is done because they turn bright pink and curl up. You can even cook shrimp straight from the freezer with no thawing necessary! Here’s how to cook frozen shrimp
- Bring about three quarts of water to a full boil.
- Dump in the frozen shrimp, peels and all.
- Wait for the water to come back to boil. It will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Then cook the shrimp another two-four minutes, depending on how large they are. Do not overcook! Drain and allow to cool, then peel.
To Make Grilled Shrimp Salad: start by using thawed jumbo shrimp and leave the peel on. Brush with oil and grill for about 2 minutes on a side on the cooler side of the grill.
Allow the shrimps to cool, then peel and rough chop them for salad. If they are small shrimp, you can leave them whole and make a very simple shrimp with salad by sprinkling them over chopped romaine or any other salad greens you have on hand.
How To Peel SHRIMP?
This recipe calls for raw shrimp which are cooked in seasoned boiling water. I typically buy my raw shrimp with just the tail attached, but many shrimp also come still in the shell.
If your shrimp have shells on them, you can easily remove them by pulling the main part of the shell off with your fingers, then removing the tail end of the shell.
You may also need to devein your shrimp. If you see a dark line running across the top of the the shrimp, you can remove it by using a paring knife to cut a slit along the top of the shrimp, then use a knife or wooden skewer to remove the vein.
Ways To Serve Shrimp Salad
You can eat this shrimp salad as-is, or serve it in a variety of different presentations.
- Lettuce: Spoon your salad into a romaine lettuce leaf.
- Crackers: Serve your salad with a side of buttery crackers.
- Sandwich: Add your shrimp salad to a toasted and buttered roll along with some green leaf lettuce.
- Avocado: Spoon your shrimp into an avocado half.
- Pasta: Add 8 ounces of cooked short pasta to make a pasta salad.
- Cucumber: Spoon onto cucumber slices for an easy party snack.
- Puff Pastry: Fill up cooked puff pastry shells with the salad.
- Tomato: Hollow out a tomato and fill it with shrimp salad.
BEST SHRIMP SALAD EASY RECIPE:
|YIELDS:||PREP TIME:||TOTAL TIME:|
|2 SERVINGS||0 HOURS 5 MINS||0 HOURS 20 MINS|
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 tbsp. freshly chopped dill
Toasted bread or butterhead or romaine lettuce, for serving
1/2 c. mayonnaise
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a large baking sheet, toss shrimp with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until shrimp are completely opaque, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, and dijon and season with salt and pepper. Add cooked shrimp, red onion, celery, and dill to a bowl and toss until combined.
- Serve on bread or over lettuce.
What size is salad shrimp?
They are small and about the size of a dime. They are peeled and the tail is removed. Each serving is 3 ounces which are about 75 shrimp and is 100 calories. There are 19 grams of protein in each serving which makes it a great source for my diet plan.
How long does shrimp salad last in fridge?
This will last up to 3 days in the fridge when stored properly in an airtight container.
Is a salad healthy?
Eating salad almost every day may be one of the most healthy eating habits you can adopt – and one of the simplest, experts say. Eating salads is a super-convenient way to work in a couple of servings of vegetables and/or fruit.
PEOPLE ALSO ASK FOR:
- Easy Shrimp Salad With Lettuce
- Best Shrimp Salad Sith Pasta
- Shrimp Salad Sandwich
- Cold Shrimp Salad Recipes
- Healthy Shrimp Salaad
- Shrimp Salaad Old Bay
- Shrimp Salaad Dressing
- Grilled Shrimp Salaad Recipe
Get Shrimp Salad Recipe Here