Eggnog French Toast Easy Recipe 2021
Eggnog French Toast is crispy and buttery on the outside, soft and custardy on the inside. What a treat!
As long as there’s eggnog available in the grocery store, I’ll be making my favorite Eggnog French Toast. You might think it can’t be dramatically different from everyday French toast, but it is! If you’re an enthusiastic fan of eggnog, like me, then you’re going to flip for this hearty breakfast treat!
What is the best kind of bread to use for Eggnog French Toast?
The key to terrific Eggnog FrenchToast is to start with a loaf of glossy, enriched challah or brioche. I’ve also used a hearty but soft Italian loaf with great success. However, eggy bread is our favorite.
You can also use thick-sliced sandwich bread if desired. You’ll need to reduce the soaking time as soft bread may get mushy if soaked too long in the eggnog mixture.
Trust me when I say, store-bought or homemade challah is the best choice for this breakfast favorite!
Must Read: Eggnog Cookies Easy Recipe 2021
The Bread Makes all The Difference
I tend to like my eggnog French toast made with hearty rustic country bread. I buy a loaf of sourdough batard and let it sit on the counter for a day or two so that it’s dried out (this helps the bread absorb more eggnog!). Then I slice it about 1-inch thick before dunking it in the batter and frying it up.
The older bread also tends to lead to a slightly chewier texture in the end, making it a great way to use up any leftover bread.
But if you like your toast with a more soft custard-like inside, try buying a loaf of Texas toast, which is a soft and extra thick-cut white bread, or soaking the bread of your choice overnight.
Keep Your French Toast Warm Until Serving!
Before you start frying, preheat your oven to 250°F, set a wire rack on a baking sheet, and place this in the oven. As you make your French toast, transfer it to the rack to ensure that the first piece of eggnog French toast is as warm and fresh as the last.
Must Read: Egg Foo Young Easy Recipe 2021
What if your family doesn’t like eggnog?
No worries! This recipe is easily adapted if your family’s not into eggnog.
- Use half-and-half or whole milk in place of the eggnog and add one more egg to the mixture for a total of four;
- Add another tablespoon of granulated sugar;
- Replace the nutmeg with ground cinnamon and that’s it! Easy peasy!
- We still recommend using challah or brioche bread for the French toast recipe.
And, if you’re serving a crowd, feel free to double this recipe. Simply adjust the serving size to 8 when you print the recipe.
Must Read: Best Peanut Brittle Recipe 2021
BEST EGGNOG FRENCH TOAST RECIPE:
|YEILDS:||PREP TIME:||TOTAL TIME:|
|6 Servings||0 Hours 15 Mins||0 Hours 20 Mins|
2 eggs, beaten slightly
1 ½ cups eggnog
1 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
12 slices French bread
- Whisk the eggs. eggnog, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together in a mixing bowl until well blended. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish.
- Preheat an electric skillet to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease the skillet.
- Dip one slice of bread at a time into the eggnog mixture, being sure to coat each side of the bread thoroughly.
- Place the prepared bread slices into the preheated skillet, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on each side. Place cooked slices on a serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm until all French toast is cooked. Serve immediately.
Can this recipe be made ahead?
The eggnog mixture can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated overnight. Whisk again before using.
To serve your family or guests at the same time, simply place the cooked French toast on a wire rack set over a baking pan. Put the pan, rack and French toast in a warm oven (about 170 degrees F). It won’t have to be in the oven for long as the French toast cooks quickly!
Have all your toppings ready to go, serve and enjoy!
Crispy and buttery on the outside, and soft and custardy on the inside. Not just for the holidays!
Must Read: Rhubarb Pie Easy Recipe 2021
Suggestions for serving Eggnog French Toast:
- Warm maple syrup drizzled over a pat of butter is my favorite
- Dust with powdered sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries
- Nuts – pecans, walnut, or sliced almonds are all delicious
- Or whipped cream!
PEOPLE ALSO ASK FOR:
Eggnog French Toast Overnight
Eggnog French Toast Bread Pudding
Eggnog French Toast Brioche
Simply Recipes Eggnog French Toast
Hood Golden Eggnog French Toast Recipe
Eggnog French Toast No Eggs
Eggnog French Toast Recipe Food Network