Easy Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Recipe 2021
Worcestershire sauce is a fermented liquid condiment created in the city of Worcester in Worcestershire, England during the first half of the 19th century.
The creators were the chemist John Wheeley Lea and William Henry Perrins, who went on to form the company Lea & Perrins.
Worcestershire sauce has been considered a generic term since 1876 when the English High Court of Justice ruled that Lea & Perrins did not own the trademark to “Worcestershire”.
Worcestershire sauce is frequently used to enhance food and drink recipes, including Welsh rarebit, Caesar salad, oysters Kirkpatrick, and deviled eggs.
As both a background flavor and a source of umami (the savory fifth flavor), it is now also added to dishes that historically did not contain it, such as chili con carne and beef stew.
It is also used directly as a condiment on steaks, hamburgers, and other finished dishes, and to flavor cocktails such as the Bloody Mary and Caesar.
Must Read: Best Jalapeno Poppers Easy Recipe 2021
What Is Tamarind Paste?
In its original form, tamarind is a dark-colored, sour fruit that grows in a pod. Tamarind can be used in drinks or to make desserts and candy, however, it’s more common to find it in savory recipes like pad thai.
To make tamarind paste, the outer pod is removed along with any seeds. The fruit pulp is boiled down until thick. It’s incredibly convenient to purchase the paste in the Asian aisle at your major grocery store or online.
How Long Will Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Last?
This homemade Worcestershire sauce should last you well over a month, two months tops if store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Later in the day family did a little blind taste test. Two spoons and two bottles of Worcestershire – one homemade and one store-bought.
All thought both tasted fairly similar but mine had a bit more flavor. I think store-bought looks prettier than Homemade Worcestershire Sauce but I don’t think I’ll be buying it ever again.
BEST WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE EASY RECIPE:
|96 Servings||0 Hours 20 mins||5 Hrs 35 mins|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 jalapeños (seeds removed and minced)
- 1/4 cup anchovies (chopped)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 lemon (thinly sliced)
- 1 lime (thinly sliced)
- Gather the ingredients
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions until soft, about 7 minutes
- Add the tamarind paste, garlic, ginger, and jalapeños. Cook over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, anchovies through lime, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 hours.
- Test the doneness of the sauce by seeing that it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the Worcestershire sauce into glass bottles or jars and refrigerate.
What is Worcestershire sauce made of?
Worcestershire sauce is a fermented condiment made from a base of vinegar and flavored with anchovies, molasses, tamarind, onion, garlic, and other seasonings. The flavor is savory and sweet with a distinct tang provided by the vinegar.
Are soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce the same?
Worcestershire sauce often draws comparison to soy sauce, however, the two sauces are quite different. Soy sauce is made with soybeans, wheat, enzymes, and salt. Worcestershire sauce, on the other hand, has a much more complex flavor, is fermented for two years, and is used in a wide range of cuisines.
Must Read: Best Blueberry Cobbler Easy Recipe 2021
What is the best Worcestershire sauce?
Overall, tasters preferred Lea & Perrins Original Worcestershire Saucce for its bright, balanced flavor; incredible depth; and a subtle kick of heat. It’s no wonder this product has stuck around for almost 200 years.
Is Worcestershire sauce healthy?
Even though it undergoes the fermentation process, Worcestershire saucce is not exactly a healthy ingredient because of its high sugar content, which may cause you to exceed the recommended daily sugar intake, predisposing you to obesity and chronic health problems.
PEOPLE ALSO ASK FOR:
- Worcestershire Saucce Substitute
- Best Worcestershire Saucce Pronounce
- Easy Worcestershire Saucce Chicken Recipe
- Worcestershire Saucce Recipes Beef
- Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Saucce Recipe
- Delicious Worcestershire Saucce Taste
- Worcestershire Saucce Vegan
Must Read: Best Tater Tot Casserole Easy Recipe 2021