Rhubarb Pie Easy Recipe 2021
Rhubarb pie is a pie with a rhubarb filling. Popular in the UK, where rhubarb has been cultivated since the 1600s, and the leaf stalks are eaten since the 1700s. Besides diced rhubarb, it almost always contains a large amount of sugar to balance the intense tartness of the plant.
Rhubarb, originally from China, was once considered a vegetable, but because of its modern applications in baking is treated and categorized as a fruit today. Some nutritionists even consider rhubarb a superfood due to its low caloric content and its high levels of calcium.
Even better, it tastes spectacular in desserts like pies, cakes, and crisps. It’s easy to see why this scratch-made rhubarb pie is a classic with its sweet and tart flavor and buttery crust.
If you’re short on time, you can add this filling to a ready-made pie crust, but we recommend making a homemade pie crust – it’s worth the extra effort, we promise! Still, have a bundle of rhubarb left in your garden? Not to worry, Betty’s got even more rhubarb pie recipes for you to try next!
Why this recipe is so great:
The taste is phenomenal. This rhubarb pie is delightfully tart and just sweet enough to balance the flavor. There is a subtle hint of spice to complement the rhubarb’s natural tang. The richness from the butter pairs nicely with the acidity of the fruit. All this is wrapped up in a flaky golden pie crust.
It’s quick and easy to make. Especially if you use a store-bought pie crust, then all you have to do is mix the filling ingredients together, and bake.
It’s all about the rhubarb. There is nothing else in this pie to take away from the fabulous and unique taste of rhubarb.
Must Read: Vegan Gingerbread People Easy Recipe 2021
- Fresh is best. I prefer to use fresh rhubarb because it doesn’t release as much water, but you can use frozen rhubarb if you want. Just make sure you thaw completely and drain in a colander. Please note that if you are using frozen rhubarb, the filling won’t be as thick.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to prevent any of the fillings from bubbling over onto the bottom of your oven while baking.
- Bake in the lower third of the oven. Because the bottom of the pie takes longer to cook than the top, placing it closer to the heat source will help it cook and brown more quickly. This way, the overall pie bakes more evenly.
What does Rhubarb Pie taste like?
It’s hard to explain the flavor, other than it has a sharp, tart zing. Some say rhubarb is similar to an excessively tart Granny Smith apple. Rhubarb is juicy and gets sweeter when cooked, making it the perfect ingredient in baked desserts with sugar.
How do you prepare rhubarb?
Trim any leaves, stems and tough ends from the rhubarb. Remember, never eat the leaves of the rhubarb plant as they can be toxic. Also, if there are rough spots or blemishes on the stalks, remove them with a vegetable peeler or small paring knife.
Must Read: Eggnog Cookies Easy Recipe 2021
Wash the stalks thoroughly and drain. Cut the rhubarb into 1/2-inch thick slices for this pie recipe.
How to make Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with tapioca.
As a thickener in fruit pies, Minute Tapioca is hard to beat. It’s very effective at creating a glistening, vibrant sauce from fruit juices. In addition, the filling won’t be cloudy or dull, which sometimes happens when using flour as a thickening agent.
Allow the tapioca to soak in the fruit juices for at least 15 minutes before baking. As a result, the tapioca will start to absorb the fruit juice and get to work even before it’s baked in the oven!
How long does rhubarb pie last?
Rhubarb pie can last 2 days at room temperature, 5 days in the fridge, and up to 3 months in the freezer. Tightly cover to store at room temperature or in the fridge. Double wrap in plastic and a layer of foil to store in the freezer.
Must Read: Gingerbread Cookie Bars Easy Recipe 2021
BEST RHUBARB PIE RECIPE (So Easy):
|YEILDS:||PREP TIME:||TOTAL TIME:|
|8 Servings||0 Hours 20 Mins||2 Hours 15 Mins|
2 lb. rhubarb cut into 1″ pieces (about 7 cups)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 pieces pie dough
All-purpose flour, for rolling
2 tbsp. butter, cold and cubed
1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1/2 tsp. water
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough out into two 12″ rounds.
- Fit one round into a 9″ glass pie plate and fill with rhubarb mixture. Dot evenly with butter, then cover pie with remaining round and trim overhang to 1”. Fold edges of top dough under and crimp together.
- Using a sharp knife, make five 1″ slits in a circle in the center of the top crust. Freeze pie for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° with a rack in the middle and the bottom third. Brush top crust all over with egg wash and sprinkle generously with sanding sugar.
- Bake pie on middle rack, with a foil-lined baking sheet on bottom rack to catch juices, about 1 hour. Check to see if top crust is browning too quickly and tent with foil if necessary. Continue to cook, checking every 10 minutes to see if top crust needs to be tented, for about 30 minutes more, until bubbling in center and bottom crust is golden.
- Transfer pie to a rack to cool completely.
To Freeze Rhubarb Pie
This pie can be frozen before baking. To bake from a frozen, place on a rimmed baking sheet. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Decrease the heat to 375 and bake an additional 35-45 minutes or until heated through. If the top begins to brown too much, loosely cover with foil.
To freeze a baked pie, allow it to cool and set completely in the refrigerator before storing it in an airtight container in the freezer. Pies and desserts last a long time, but the flavor is best if you use it within two to three months, so don’t make it too far ahead before enjoying it!
Can you freeze unbaked rhubarb pie?
Yes, add 2 extra tablespoons of flour to the filling to help soak up some of the extra juice that may exude during the freezing/thawing process. Assemble the pie completely except for the egg wash and coarse sugar.
Freeze in a heavy-duty plastic bag. Thaw overnight in the fridge and bake as instructed. For more information, here’s a great article on how to freeze and bake fruit pies by King Arthur Flour.
Where did rhubarb come from?
Rhubarb originated in China where it was cultivated for medicinal purposes. It was then brought over to Europe by tradesmen.
PEOPLE ALSO ASK FOR:
Rhubarb Pie Taste
Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pie
Custard Rhubarb Pie
Single Crust Rhubarb Pie
German Rhubarb Pie
What Does Rhubarb Pie Taste Like
Rhubarb Pie with Crumble Topping
Rhubarb Pie Recipe UK